12 Aug 2021
Hayden Quinn unearths Australia's global city in Taste of Australia: Syd Edition
Sydney’s rich and multicultural mosaic of people, places and experiences will be showcased like never before, when Taste of Australia with Hayden Quinn returns with a dedicated Sydney Edition on Network Ten from August 15.
Sydney is one of the world’s most multicultural cities – four out of every 10 Sydneysiders were born overseas. Unique in flavours and experiences, there is nowhere in the country where visitors can enjoy such a smorgasbord of neighbourhoods bursting with an incredible mix of smells, sights, sounds and events that celebrate global cultures and nationalities.
Produced in partnership with the NSW Government through Destination NSW, Taste of Australia with Hayden Quinn: Sydney Edition features 10 of Sydney’s neighbourhoods as seen by locals, where Hayden teams up with chefs, entertainers, social influencers and media personalities to explore their pockets of the city and gain personal and local insights across the food and drink, entertainment and culture space.
The Sydney Edition will broaden the scope of the food and travel TV series and see Hayden try his hand at pottery in Marrickville with author and podcaster Flex Mami; taste Persian goods at the Bahar Persian Food in Ryde; explore Sydney’s rich Aboriginal history and cultural significance with Dreamtime SouthernX; discover the hidden laneways, architectural history of Sydney’s CBD and more.
NSW Minister for Jobs, Investment, Tourism and Western Sydney Stuart Ayres said the Sydney Edition would uncover some of Sydney’s most culturally diverse neighbourhoods and showcase the lesser-known experiences that make the city so unique and appealing for visitors.
“Sydney has a vibrant energy and a rich tapestry of experiences, from famous beaches and award-winning waterfront restaurants to its thriving multicultural neighbourhoods offering global flavours at your fingertips, as well as world-class arts, culture and entertainment after dark,” Mr Ayres said.
“Hayden connects with storytellers from different backgrounds in the Sydney Edition to unearth their neighbourhood secrets, such as restaurateur and fellow MasterChef favourite, Reynold Poernomo, showing Hayden the best of Chinatown; lifestyle photographer, Luisa Brimble, helping Hayden discover Western Sydney; and Aboriginal Elder, Margret Campbell, demonstrating the cultural significance of The Rocks.
“These and many more diverse stories help to reinforce Sydney’s standing as Australia’s truly global city, and a place to visit for unbeatable, authentic experiences for all tastes and demographics.”
Host Hayden Quinn said he was excited to rediscover Sydney’s diverse neighbourhoods through the eyes of locals.
“You don’t need to travel far and wide to discover some of the world’s best cuisines and experiences – you will find a diverse offering on our doorstep right here in Sydney. Our city is the flavour capital of Australia where you can go from picking your own produce in an urban underground farm in the heart of the CBD, to sampling some of the Philippines’ famous suckling pig in Western Sydney and enjoying traditional Cantonese food in Haymarket all in one day.”
Among the Sydney neighbourhoods and operators featured across the series are:
- Porch and Parlour: a rustic all-day café in North Bondi, open for coffee before a swim or delicious brunch options up until 3pm. Hayden joins Leah Simmons here for a quintessential green smoothie after the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk.
- The Depot: The first café of Bondi local, chef, and author Guy Turland, located in North Bondi. Hayden visits Guy at his eatery for lunch before foraging together off Bondi Beach.
- Black Market Roasters, Enmore: Black Market Roasters was founded by Angus Nicol and Jessica Hol in a garage tucked away from the spotlight. Hayden enjoys a coffee here with local muso Will Wood from Grinding Eyes.
- Cottonmouth Records, Enmore: Located in the heart of Enmore, Cottonmouth Records is a vinyl store, craft beer haven and whisky lounge all wrapped into one. Owner, Zach Williams, gives Hayden a run down on the vinyl scene and a taste of some of Sydney’s favourite local brews.
- The Warren View Hotel: Originally built in 1870, the Warren View Hotel is a local favourite in the heart of Enmore with arguably one of the best dog-friendly courtyards in the area. Hayden cooks up a feast for the Grinding Eyes band members ahead of their gig.
- The Vanguard: A purpose-built live music venue in Newtown, offering an exciting programme of music, burlesque and cabaret along with signature cocktails and delicious food. Hayden drops by to check out local musos, Grinding Eyes, in action.
SYDNEY CBD AND SURROUNDS
- Pier One Sydney Harbour: Ideally located on the magnificent Sydney waterfront, nestled under the Southern pylon of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Pier One Sydney Harbour features 189 unique rooms with contemporary chic furnishings. Hayden starts his day in the CBD from one of the stunning harbour front rooms.
- Sydney Architecture Walks: Run by architects themselves, the tours are aimed at understanding the why of the city whilst exploring some of the most provocative and inspiring projects Sydney houses. Hayden joins Sydney Architecture Walks founder, Eoghan Lewis, for a tour of Circular Quay and surrounds.
- YCK Laneways, Sydney CBD: A consortium of Sydney’s best small bars clustered around York, Clarence and Kent streets, with many of the bars embracing restored original architecture in their laneway, carriageway and storehouse locations. From the incredible architecture to the late-night bars and everything in between – Hayden experiences the best of the inner CBD laneways.
- The Barber Shop: Part barbershop, part award-winning cocktail Bar. Enjoy a range of professional grooming services during the day and specially crafted cocktails, boutique-bottled beers and artisanal spirits by night. Hayden tastes one of Mikey Enright’s special gimlet cocktails using local native ingredients.
- Urban Green, Barangaroo: Urban Green is Sydney's first commercial indoor farm supplying to many different restaurants around Sydney. Hayden learns about their produce and picks up some supplies for dinner at Observatory Hill.
- Dreamtime SouthernX: Margret Campbell takes Hayden on a walkabout around The Rocks to uncover the Aboriginal Dreamtime Cultural Heritage of Sydney’s natural landscape and seasons.
CHINATOWN AND HAYMARKET
- Bucket Boys: Score one of the five seats available in this intimate venue in Darling Square and taste some of Australia’s best craft beer out of 20 rotating taps, as well as natural wines. Owner, Jonathan Hepner, gives Hayden a taste of some of the local favourites.
- Emperor’s Garden Restaurant: Former MasterChef contestant Reynold Poernormo shows Hayden one of his favourite spots in Chinatown, the Emperor’s Garden Cream Puff window.
- Chinese Garden of Friendship, Darling Harbour: Hayden explores the garden, designed in 1986 enjoying the serene landscape, tumbling waterfalls and exotic plants right in the heart of the city.
- Community Rooftop Garden: Featuring an Indigenous planting theme showcasing a variety of native edible, cultural, and medicinal plant species, Hayden discovers some of the incredible produce with Clarence Slockee to use in his cooking later that day.
- Eveleigh Works: The largest and most technologically advanced workshop in the Southern Hemisphere, offering courses in blacksmithing, knife-making and toolmaking for beginners and advanced. Matt shows Hayden how to make his own cooking knife.
- Re., Eveleigh: The world's first sustainable, 'no-waste' cocktail bar from hospitality heavyweights Matt Whiley (Scout) and Maurice Terzini (Icebergs Dining Room & Bar, CicciaBella), located in the new South Eveleigh precinct. Matt gives Hayden the rundown on creating a zero-waste bar and a sample of some of his unique creations.
- BEKYA Middle Eastern Kitchen: Located in the newly opened South Eveleigh precinct, Hayden enjoys one of their famous Egyptian Falafel Wraps created from a family-owned recipe.
- CLAY Sydney: Located in Marrickville, CLAY Sydney offers a variety of workshops, both in-studio and virtual online classes, from beginner hand building and wheel throwing, to intermediate sessions, private classes and corporate events. In the series, Hayden and podcaster Flex Mami take part in one of CLAY’s private classes.
- The Sausage Factory: Australia’s first sausage cellar door, The Sausage Factory in Sydney’s Inner West is the creation of Chrissy Flanagan and produces handcrafted sausages made with free range prime cuts. Hayden samples some of Chrissy’s creations and checks out her brewery onsite.
- Sauce Brewing Co.: Established in 2016 by Mike Clarke, Sauce Brewing Co. is an independent microbrewery based in Marrickville. Mike gives Hayden a taste of some of the local brews, before heading into the beer garden for a cook up
- Cebu Lechon: For over 27 years, Cebu Lechon has been producing the famous Filipino whole roasted suckling pig that draws crowds across Sydney. Hayden checks out Will Mahusay in action and buys supplies for a cook up at Lake Parramatta.
- Parramatta Rowboats: With more than 70 hectares of bushland to explore and only two kilometres from the Parramatta CBD, Lake Parramatta is the perfect place to relax. Hayden enjoys the peaceful waterway of Lake Parramatta onboard a rowboat from the team at Parramatta Rowboats.
- Hayden gets a taste of the world during the episode in Western Sydney, when he teams up with owner and manager of Bahar Persian Food and Art, Russoul Sajadi, in Ryde.
- Cables Wake Park, Penrith: Try your hand at cable skiing, wakeboarding and knee-boarding at this world-class facility. Hayden and world champion wakeboarder Courtney Angus stop by to watch a group enjoy a sunset wakeboard.
- EcoTreasures: Locally owned advanced eco-tourism accredited experience provider, offering guided snorkel tours, paddle board or kayak lessons and more. Hayden gets in the crystal-clear waters of Shelly Beach in Manly for a snorkel with the EcoTreasures team.
- Rollers Bakehouse, Manly: This sunny outdoor cafe is known for its creative take on their croissants, from peanut butter and jelly or banoffee creations to savoury versions like spanakopita or cauliflower and cheese. Hayden meets up with sister Madi for breakfast after a sunrise surf at Manly Beach.
- Pittwater Kayak Tours: Offer two-three hour guided tours showcasing the natural beauty of the Pittwater Region. Hayden joins a morning tour across Pittwater to a beautiful, secluded beach.
Taste of Australia with Hayden Quinn: Sydney Edition will broadcast on Network Ten from Sunday 15 August to Sunday October 17 at 4:30pm.
Share your favourite Sydney experiences on social media by using the hashtag #ilovesydney.
Media Assets: View and download a selection of imagery and video content from the Hayden Quinn in Sydney HERE. Interview opportunities with Hayden Quinn and featured talent are available upon request.
Media: Destination NSW Publicist | Abbie Wheeler
E: email@example.com M: (+61) 439 003 042
Note to editors
About Destination NSW
Destination NSW is the lead NSW Government agency for the State’s tourism and major events industry and is responsible for devising and implementing strategies to grow the State’s visitor economy. Our particular focus is driving tourism and acquiring and developing major sporting and cultural events for Sydney and regional NSW. In addition, Destination NSW is the major investor in Business Events Sydney with the aim of securing more international conventions, incentive travel reward programs, corporate events and exhibitions.
About Boomtown Pictures
Taste of Australia with Hayden Quinn was developed by content creation company Boomtown Pictures. The Sydney Edition is the fourth season of the format, which is directed and produced by Boomtown's Ashton Ward. Boomtown Pictures works with their clients to create compelling brand stories that aim to deliver an authoritative, entertaining and authentic point of view. Boomtown believes that storytelling allows brands to reach beyond traditional media and embed themselves in the everyday experiences of consumers. Boomtown Pictures work across both long and short-form content formats and look to amplify across a range of channels including TV, social and online.
Please stay up to date on the latest NSW Government health advice regarding COVID-19 and travel within NSW, here.